Parents as Partners

police officer showing student his police dog
  • If you have questions or concerns about your child's IEP or 504 plan, here's who to contact:

    504 Plans - your school counselor

    Evaluations and Testing - your school Educational Diagnostician

    Medical Concerns - your school nurse

    Building Scheduling and Services - your school administrator (principal or assistant principal)

    If after contacting your school resources you have concerns about the services your child receives, contact Dr. Lisa Lawson, Executive Director of Special Education and Support Services.

  • Parents are important partners in a child’s special education team.  There are many ways for parents to learn and get involved.  Here are a few opportunities.

    Parent Council for Parents of Students with Disabilities

    This group is run by BSD to give parents a place to learn and network together. Two parents from each school are nominated to represent parents of students with disabilities.  These parents find out about new issues in special ed and give feedback to school administrators.  Meetings are held at Mount Pleasant Elementary School in the multi-purpose room.


    Brandywine Specialized Autism Program Parent Action Committee (BSAP PAC)

    This group is specific to parents of children with autism. The group is required by Delaware Law.      



Online Resources for Families