Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act

  • What is a 504 Plan? 

    A 504 Plan offers support for students who have a disability but do not need special education services.  It allows for accommodations in the classroom that level the playing field so the student can do his or her best work.  Teachers are bound by law to provide the accommodations through the Rehabilitation Act, an updated version of the ADA. 

    How is eligibility for a 504 Plan determined? 

    In order to receive a 504 Plan, the student must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities or a medically documented impairment that requires accommodations to support the student in their educational environment.  A 504 eligibility meeting is scheduled to review eligibility criteria and determine if the student is eligible for a 504 plan.

    How is a 504 Plan different than an IEP?

    A 504 Plan is a document that provides accommodations only.  There are no special education services attached to a 504.  An IEP (Individualized Education Program) outlines learning goals and how the special education staff will help the child meet those goals.  An IEP might include accommodations too, but they are listed as part of the methods for helping a kid reach their learning goals. 

    How are they monitored?

    Both are monitored throughout the school year.  Once a year the child’s team of teachers, and school staff meet to review the plans and decide if changes are needed.  If the child is struggling, a parent can ask for a meeting to review at any time. 

    Who do I contact about 504 Plans?

    Your child’s school counselor is in charge of your school’s 504 Plans.  Our district 504 coordinator is Melissa Frabizzio, Supervisor of Compliance, who can be reached at 302-793-5074.

    What are my rights under Section 504?

    Your child has a right to an appropriate education to meet their individual educational needs.  Parent rights under Section 504, as well as methods for resolving disagreements, can be found in the Brandywine School District Notice of Rights of Students and Parents Under Section 504 document.

Young boy working at an education station
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.