National Social Studies Honor Society, Rho Kappa National
April 19, 2021
ATTENTION ALL Juniors and seniors.
For the first time at BHS, the Rho Kappa National Social Studies Honor Society will be accepting applications. Please, review the information below for background and requirements. Click on the SSNHS link to access the application which is due April 30, 2021.
What is Rho Kappa?
Rho Kappa National Social Studies Honor Society is the only national organization for high school juniors and seniors to recognize excellence in the field of Social Studies. The Florida Council for the Social Studies (FCSS), an affiliate of the National Council for the Social Studies, established RHO KAPPA Social Studies Honor Society in 2000. NCSS then saw a need for a national organization to support student achievement and promote the appreciation of Social Studies, thus establishing the Rho Kappa National Honor Society in 2011. Rho Kappa provides national recognition and opportunities for exploration in the social studies. NCSS hopes to encourage an interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies through the creation of Rho Kappa.
- By being selected to participate in the Brandywine High School chapter of Rho Kappa, you have been recognized for your excellence and achievement in the field of social studies. You have not just met the requirements but have demonstrated an active, intellectual interest in the field and demonstrated civic participation in such a way as commendable by your teachers.
- As with other honor societies, as a member of Rho Kappa you will participate in positive, suitable activities that fulfill a need in community or school, honor the overall goals of Rho Kappa, and promote the educational purposes of the chapter. This may include community service projects or field trips.
- Your Rho Kappa membership and participation make you a more competitive college admission candidate! Even if you are not pursing a major in a field of social studies, a Rho Kappa membership demonstrates your capacity to learn about the humanities, the world around you, and your place in it. This is exactly the type of student that centers of higher learning seek to acquire!
Each candidate for membership shall be selected to a designated chapter of Rho Kappa based on the following criteria:
- have been in attendance at the school in which the chapter resides for the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered (If a special or unique circumstances merit, the high school administration may waive the semester requirement, providing a letter of explanation to the National Advisory Council).
- have completed four semesters of courses in the field of social studies and be prepared to complete at least six semesters. The minimum grade point average for these courses is an unweighted 3.00 or the numerical equivalent.
- have an overall cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 or the numerical equivalent (Individual chapters may choose to increase the GPA requirements for their chapter but may not decrease them).
Candidates achieving the minimal GPA requirements may be invited to apply for membership into Rho Kappa. The application process will require candidates to show participation in activities that demonstrate civic engagement in school or community and their desire and aspiration to be a member of the organization. Applicants must have a letter of recommendation from a current faculty member.
- Per National Council for the Social Studies, https://www.socialstudies.org/about