Brandywine School District CommitteesMany committees and task forces assist the District in decision-making about maintenance, finance, cost containment, and facilities planning. Committee members have expertise in related areas and the District enlists their help in reviewing data, developing plans, and making recommendations. The valuable insight provided by these individuals has been crucial to the sound decisions made by the Board and staff, reflected in the District’s best practices and ongoing commitment to stewardship.
District Finance Committee
The purpose of the District Finance Committee is to ensure that taxpayer funds are used as effectively and efficiently as possible by reviewing the financial practices of the District and reporting findings and recommendations for improvement to the Board of Education. The Finance Committee meets the second Wednesday of each month at 1 p.m. Five independent citizen members with training and expertise in the analysis, oversight, and management of budgets are appointed to the committee, as well as one member of the Board of Education and one building principal.
- William H. Major, Vice President, Wilmington Trust Co.
- Barbara Schoenberg, CPA, LLC Owner
- Victor Ferzetti, Director of Finance, Delaware River and Bay Authority
- David Adkins, Former BSD Board Member
- Susan Koski
- Debra Heffernan, BSD Board Member
- Joseph Brumskill, BSD Board Member
- Dr. Richard Carter, Talley Middle School Principal
Renovations Oversight Committee
The Renovations Oversight Committee was formed to support and assist the District in overseeing school renovation projects, and to review information and make recommendations to the Board of Education. The ROC meets the first Monday of the month at 7 p.m. Members of the committee contribute outstanding expertise and professional knowledge to the renovations process.
- Edward Capodanno, Co-Chair, Associated Builders and Contractors
- John Skrobot, Co-Chair, Project Manager, Delaware Building Trades
- Jim Carney, Vice President, Citizens Bank
- Michele Fontana, Community Representative
- Lee Heck, Patterson Schwartz
- Craig Gilbert, Former BSD Board Member
Communications and Marketing CommitteeThe Communications and Marketing Committee meets with the superintendent and other administrators to help develop and steer the district's communications plan, which is updated annually. Members contribute their expertise and experience in marketing and communications, web design, community relations, and/or graphic design. To get involved, please email Alexis Andrianopoulos at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The CMC meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
- Joseph Brumskill, BSD Board Member
- Michael Falstad, BSD Board Member
- Leslie McGuigan, Community Representative
- Jeff Olmstead, Community Representative
- Debra Jackson Spence, Community Representative
- Phyllis Wooley-Roy, BSD Teacher
- Dorrell Green, Assistant Superintendent
- Alexis Andrianopoulos, Public Information Officer
District Equity Leadership CommitteeThe purpose of the District Equity Leadership Committee is to ensure that a level of cultural proficiency exists to eliminate racial disparity and close the achievement gap. Members of the committee contribute outstanding expertise and professional knowledge in developing strong equity leadership at the district and school levels.
Parent Teacher Association CommitteeThis committee includes representatives from each school. It meets monthly to plan district-wide PTA events and provide feedback to the superintendent and administration. To get involved, please email Judy Curtis at: email@example.com. The PTA Committee meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m.
Facilities Task Force
This task force was formed to review existing facilities in terms of both their utilizations and their grade configurations, and to make recommendations that are both educationally sound and fiscally efficient regarding on-going District renovations. The task force’s recommendations will address the projected slight enrollment decline in BSD, seek to maximize the efficient use of our facilities, and maximize state positions funding based on building enrollments.
Other committees are formed for special issues, as needed.