What is Accelerated Reader?
- Accelerated Reader is a program that helps teachers motivate, monitor and manage student reading practice.
- It is currently being used by more than 50,000 schools to enhance the reading comprehension skills for students across the country.
How does it work?
- Students choose their interested books and read at their own pace .
- Afterward they take a computerized quiz that quickly assesses their comprehension of the book's key characters, events and information.
- The short multiple choice quizzes are 5, 10, or 20 questions long depending on the reading level.
- After a student takes a quiz, they receive points based on the book's point value and how well they did on the quiz. Most quizzes require 60% to pass and earn points.
- The students see their points as a measurement of their reading practice.
Last Modified on September 20, 2016