MPE and the BSD Inclusion ModelMount Pleasant Elementary utilizes the Brandywine School District Inclusion Model to meet the needs of each special education student. The model involves:
- Special education students have access to the general curriculum.
- The needs of the students are identified, as well as how much support each student needs.
- A schedule is built to meet the needs of the students.
- Inclusion is a continuum of services, not just co-teaching.
- Staff are trained on differentiated instruction.
- Co-teaching = approximately 1/3 of students with IEP's in a regular class.
- Support professionals (paraprofessionals or teachers) service approximately 15% of the students.
- Collaboration time is developed for co-teaching and support facilitation.
- Principals have high expectations for teachers to have high expectations for students.
- Principals have a working understanding of step-by-step process and schedule students based on needs.
- Principals schedule common planning time for co-teachers.
- Teachers/Specialists plan with other teachers.
- Teachers/Specialists use student data to plan instruction and use differentiated instruction.
- Teachers/Specialists have high expectations for students.