Who Can Register a Child for School in BSD?
Only a parent, legal guardian, relative caregiver, or Division of Family Services employee can register a child for school. Relative caregivers and/or foster parents must provide documentation. (A foster parent must provide a letter on DFS letterhead stating that the foster parent is permitted to register and be the school contact for the student.)
* The child must reside with the parent, guardian, or caregiver and be legally under their care.
* Custody documents may be necessary to establish the legal guardianship and determine residential custody.
* If parents are granted shared custody, the child may be considered a resident of either parent's district. The child cannot be enrolled in two different schools and/or districts.
* If both parents are granted custody, the child will be considered a resident of the district in which the primary parent resides.
* If one parent is awarded sole custody, the child will be considered a resident of that parent's legal address.
* Power of Attorney is not acceptable documentation, except in the case of a U.S. servicemember in deployment.
* A Family Court petition is not acceptable documentation.
* Court documents must be dated and signed by a Commissioner or Judge.