Summertime, and the livin's busy
Posted by Dr. Mark Holodick at 7/21/2016
Dear BSD Community,
You might think summer is a quiet, relaxed time for a school district. After all, school's out so there's not much going on, right? Well, in actuality summer is a very busy time for school districts.
Right now in BSD, students and staff are busy in several programs. We have an Extended School Year (ESY) program for eligible students with special needs occurring at Harlan Elementary School, Hanby Elementary School, and P.S. duPont Middle School. More than 200 students from across BSD are enrolled and receiving a full range of services. For the third year, Harlan is also hosting a Summer Enrichment program for 60 students. These students are receiving math and reading interventions and are participating in extracurricular activities such as gardening, poetry, art, and science clubs.
STEM Camp took place in mid-July and was another big success. More than 85 students participated in grade-appropriate camps at Brandywine High School, learning about computer programming, robotics, environmental science, engineering, and much more.
We are proud to offer a new radio camp opportunity at WMPH this year, thanks to a grant from the Delaware Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. And of course credit recovery courses are ongoing for students in middle and high school who were unsuccessful in earning course credit during the school year.
That's not all, though. Our facilities crews are hard at work to prepare buildings and grounds for the start of a new school year. Here is just a partial list:
- The Mount Pleasant High School track rehabilitation is complete. Small gym renovations in final stage, and a school-wide water fountain replacement is in its final stage. Also at Mount, the main hallway ADA project is ongoing, as is a project to replace the railings in the stairwells. Locker room and fitness room work is nearly complete.
- The nurse's office at Mount Pleasant Elementary is in the process of being renovated.
- Maple Lane Elementary is receiving work on its HVAC system, as well as parking lot improvements.
- The generator at Claymont Elementary School is being replaced.
- New sidewalks are being installed at Harlan Elementary School and P.S. duPont Middle School.
- Roof work is being done at Talley Middle School.
There is more, of course, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what summertime is like in BSD. I hope all of you are staying cool and enjoying time with loved ones!
Mark A. Holodick, Ed.D.